Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dentist?

I went to the dentist yesterday because I had to get some work done on two teeth. Here's what happened:

Good news: It ended up not happening. Bad news: It will happen. Good news: I won't care. Bad news: It'll happen.
I got there, and I was totally freaking out and I was so scared that I was even less audible than usual and I was basically about to break into tears and then this new dentist lady I've never met came out and she was a brown-haired blond, basically (or was she blond? I think so, but I can't remember. She seemed a little ditzy) and she was very, very smiley and nice and I bet it was her first week on the job because she seems to love, love, love her job.
And she somehow heard stuff when I said stuff.
And then she brought me back into the room place with the chair and I clutched my Harry Potter book as if it was the last thing I'd ever be able to feel, and she talked to me about how she recently saw the seventh movie but hadn't seen any of the preceding ones (this confounded me, but I didn't say anything bad, I just told her to see the other ones) and then she started telling me how much she was in love with Twilight and that's when I started wishing I could just stop talking to her and then the real dentist came in.
He took his mirror thingy and his hook thingy and started looking around inside my mouth and I was about to flip out and then he asked me why I was so scared and I said, "Numb." So he asked me what part of the numb I hated and I said, "All of it. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it." I didn't mean to say it but I guess I did. And then he asked if my mom was still there and I verified it and he disappeared and the new lady started talking to me again.
And then he came back and said that there was good news and bad news and asked which I'd like to hear. So I said that I would like to hear both so that I'd know what he was going to do to me, and he told me, "We're going to do something that we did for your brother. You're experiencing a large amount of anxiety. You are very anxious and I can see it in the way that you are sitting here. So we're going to let you go home. That's the good news. The bad news is that you will be coming back. But it's going to be during the holiday vacation, when you're free of all school-related stress and you can get a good night's sleep--" I have no idea how he knew that, for the past three nights, I had been waking up in the middle of the night, but he somehow did. "--and you're going to take this relaxant medication. You will take one pill the night before to ensure a good night's sleep, and then you will take one an hour before we begin the procedure. And you will feel like you won't care. You'll be saying, 'Come on. Drill me. DRILL ME.' and it will be just fine."
And then I went home and stopped feeling like crying and it was all better and I was able to finish my homework and go to orchestra rehearsal and then do some work on my painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so delighted that you have something to say! Or maybe you don't have something to say. That's okay too. I understand.